Coconut lentil soup
Coconut lentil soup, a hearty and delicious vegan dinner recipe.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 big carrots, diced
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 can (400 ml) (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of red chili flakes (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
In a medium stockpot, add chopped onion and carrots and sauté with some oil, on medium heat, until onions are soft and translucent. Stir occasionally. Add peeled and diced potatoes and sauté for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in green lentils, coconut milk, water, cumin, ginger, turmeric and vegetable stock cube, until combined.
Bring to a boil and simmer covered, until the lentils and potatoes are soft.
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional), salt and black pepper to taste and top with red chili flakes for some heat (optional).