Coconut lentil soup, a hearty and delicious vegan dinner recipe. Comes together easy in 1 pot, in about 30 minutes.
Weather has been fantastic for this time of the year, but I’m still kind of stuck in the winter feeling. I’m craving cozy, hearty and warm dishes like soups, hot chocolate, etc. I suppose I don’t trust the Swedish weather. It is probably going to change and be cold again. So the best is to have a fridge ready when the weather turns colder again.
This coconut lentil soup is exactly what my body is craving right now. Hearty, warm and spicy but nourishing is what this soup is. Full of flavor and level of heat is optional.
Btw, I’m always using green lentils because I don’t know how to cook red lentils. I always overcook them. If you have any tips for how to cook them, please leave a comment. I would love to make something delicious with red lentils.
Coconut lentil soup
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 big carrots, diced
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1 can (400 ml) (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of red chili flakes (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium stockpot, add chopped onion and carrots and sauté with some oil, on medium heat, until onions are soft and translucent. Stir occasionally. Add peeled and diced potatoes and sauté for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in green lentils, coconut milk, water, cumin, ginger, turmeric and vegetable stock cube, until combined.
- Bring to a boil and simmer covered, until the lentils and potatoes are soft.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional), salt and black pepper to taste and top with red chili flakes for some heat (optional).
- Serve warm.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.