Vegan spinach pie with crispy phyllo dough and tasty tofu and spinach mixture. A delicious vegan recipe that is perfect for dinner or as a side dish.
This pie is greek inspired and it's quite similar to the greek version of vegan spanakopita. As I'm from Balkan and phyllo is a standard ingredient in Balkan cuisine I experimented a lot with using it in both sweet phyllo desserts and savory as this one. When working with phyllo pastry it's important to keep pastry sheets from drying out. But it's worth it because you will get the delicious, golden brown and perfectly crispy pie.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS VEGAN SPINACH PIE
- Spinach: Use frozen spinach, thawed. Make sure to squeeze out as much water as possible. For this, you can use cheesecloth.
- Tofu: I used medium-firm tofu. To substitute, you can use a firm or extra firm tofu.
- Phyllo: Phyllo sheets are not the same thing as puff pastry.
- Yogurt: I used natural soy yogurt. You can use any non-dairy yogurt you prefer.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Use phyllo dough. I'm sure this spinach filling would work with puff pastry too, but puff pastry is not the same thing as phyllo.
- To keep your sheets of dough from drying out, don't open the package until it's time to layer the pie. Make spinach filling first. When you open the dough package, use a damp towel or a plastic wrap to cover the dough. Or just work really fast when layering your pie.
- To scramble the tofu you can use your hands, a fork, or a food processor. I prefer using my hands.
OTHER SPINACH RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Vegan spinach pie
- 500 gr frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 250 gr medium-firm tofu
- olive oil- for brushing the phyllo
- ½ cup natural yogurt dairy-free
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 10 phyllo sheets
- 1.Thaw the spinach. Remove as much liquid as possible.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F). Brush the bottom and the sides of a baking dish with olive oil.
3. In a big mixing bowl, scramble the tofu, using your hands or with a fork. Add thawed and drained spinach, yogurt, salt, and dried oregano. Stir until combined.
4. Roll out the phyllo dough and cover it with a damp towel or plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
5. Place one sheet of phyllo dough in the bottom of the baking dish and brush with olive oil. Add a second layer on the top and brush with oil. Repeat the layering process 3 more times.
6. Spread the spinach-tofu mixture out on the top of the dough and then repeat the layering process with the remaining sheets, brushing the sheets with oil.
7. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.