This vegan savory scones recipe is perfect for a quick and easy breakfast. 5 ingredients and less than 20 minutes takes to make these delicious scones.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS SCONES RECIPE
- Flour: Whole spelt flour or to replace use whole wheat flour. Whole grain makes it a bit dense, but with more fiber and still delicious.
- Baking powder: Don't substitute with baking soda, as baking soda needs something acid to react.
- Butter: Use non-dairy butter like Miyoko´s, Earth Balance, or similar.
- Oat milk: To substitute use soy milk, almond milk or other non-dairy milk.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Mix flour and butter before adding oat milk to the dough, because we want fat pockets to form properly. This is essential for making crumbly scones.
- Make sure not to overprocess when combining butter and flour. We don't want the butter to melt. The butter has to remain solid so that fat pockets can form properly.
- If using an electric mixer be careful not to over-mix the dough. Use it at low speed and turn it off before you think it's ready. I recommend using a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour, but using hands works fine too. Just make sure to work fast so that butter doesn't melt.
- You want the dough to be sticky. This will give the scones a better rise. Aim for a consistency that is too wet to knead.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Vegan savory scones
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 50 g cold butter vegan
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 482 °F (250 °C)
- 2. In a large bowl, add and combine dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 3. Add butter to the mixing bowl and use your hands or a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour.
- 4. Add oat milk (or other non-dairy milk) and use a spoon to stir it together until it forms a somewhat sticky dough.
- 5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop by heaping tablespoons onto a prepared baking sheet.
- 6. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the center.
- 7. Serve warm with some butter and vegan cheese or paired with soup.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.