This vegan pea soup is super creamy and only uses 8 ingredients. It's made from frozen peas, coconut milk, and cilantro for flavor. Simple but flavorful soup recipe.
To make this soup you'll need a high-speed blender or immersion blender and a few simple ingredients. If you don't have either, you can use a food processor to blend. This recipe is quite straightforward and quick to make.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS VEGAN PEA SOUP
- Onion and garlic: For flavor. Use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder.
- Green peas: Use frozen peas. If using fresh peas cooking time might be a bit longer.
- Vegetable stock cube: To substitute use vegetable broth or stock, but in that case reduce the amount of water. Another good substitute is miso paste.
- Coconut milk: Use full-fat canned coconut milk. Using full-fat milk will contribute to a very rich texture.
- Fresh cilantro: It´s important to use fresh cilantro for flavor.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Make sure to blend until creamy. If you don't have an immersion blender use a regular blender. My container is big enough for the whole batch. This saves me some time. If your container is smaller, pour it into a blender in batches, until everything is thick and creamy.
- Use full-fat coconut milk for the right texture.
- Fresh cilantro is essential for the right flavor. If you absolutely can't stand cilantro, switch up the herbs. In that case, use basil or parsley.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 3-4 days. Or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen green peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
1. Add one tablespoon of olive oil into a large pot. Add in chopped onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
2. Add frozen green peas, water, and vegetable stock cube to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until peas are tender, for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and chopped cilantro and simmer for a few more minutes.
4. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup, or if using a high-speed blender transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
6. Transfer to bowls. Top with coconut milk, green peas, and fresh cilantro.
Serving Size⅓ of recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 0mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 13gSugar 15gProtein 14g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.