Vegan Moussaka Casserole with potatoes is a delicious vegan dinner recipe. This moussaka without eggplant is the classic comfort food of the Balkan region.
I'm going to be straight with you. This is NOT a traditional Greek moussaka recipe. If that's what you are looking for, I´m sorry if I misled you.
This moussaka recipe is with potatoes and without eggplant, tomato paste, etc.
This is a Serbian version of moussaka or at least my parents' version of this famous dish.
What is moussaka made of?
The authentic greek moussaka (the most well-known version) is made of layers of eggplant, potatoes, cheese, meat and bechamel sauce.
However, my moussaka version is a Balkan version of the famous dish. Balkan moussaka is a moussaka with potatoes and no eggplant, cheese or bechamel sauce like in a greek moussaka.
Although, this version is not a greek version, I find this recipe not only delicious, but I also prefer moussaka this way.
On the other hand, authentic greek moussaka is delicious too. So, I wouldn't say no to that either.
Vegan moussaka casserole with potatoes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 350 gr (0,8 lb) minced soy meat
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 kg (2,2 lb) potato
- 1 cup (2,4 dl) cooking cream, dairy-free
- ½ cup (1,2 dl) oat milk
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 440°F (225°C)
- Chop onion and add to a large frying pan with a tablespoon of oil. Saute over medium-high heat until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add minced soy meat, season with sweet paprika, salt, and black pepper and saute, until soy meat begins to brown.
- Peel potatoes and slice into thin rounds.
- Assemble your moussaka by layering half of the potatoes across the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Spoon the sauteed soy mince on top of the potatoes, sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.
- Arrange another layer of potatoes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooking cream, milk, salt, and black pepper.
- Spread the mixture on top of your moussaka. Sprinkle with some parsley.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Until potatoes are fork-tender, and the top gets golden. If the top is browning too quickly, cover it with a piece of kitchen foil.
To stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think.