Simple vegan broccoli quiche for all the quiche lovers.
I was attempting to make a broccoli quiche for a while now, and it finally happened.
This is a pretty simple recipe with just 10 ingredients.
One of the ingredients that I used in this recipe is black salt even called kala namak.
Kala namak is a type of Indian volcanic rock salt and has a very distinctive sulfurous taste, often compared to hard-boiled egg yolks. According to Ayurvedic medicine, it is supposed to have numerous health benefits, but in vegan cuisine, we are mostly after this egg yolk taste.
First time I used it I got surprised by how well it mimics the taste of eggs.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.
Vegan Broccoli Quiche
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 125 g vegan butter
- 2 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 500 g fresh or frozen broccoli chopped
- 1 medium-size onion chopped
- 350 g silken tofu
- 2 cups soy yogurt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of black salt kala namak
- Preheat oven to 440℉ (225℃)
- To make the crust, add whole wheat flour, chilled vegan butter, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to work the butter into the flour gradually. Add the water and knead until dough starts to hold together.
- Press the pie dough out into the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, saute the chopped onion and broccoli until onion is tender.
- In a large bowl, add the tofu block and use a fork to mash the tofu.
- Add soy yogurt, turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt and a pinch of black salt and stir all together.
- Stir in sauteed onion and broccoli into the mixture and pour into crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool briefly before cutting. Serve with fresh salad.