Tofu scramble with kale and bell pepper is a quick, and easy vegan, and healthy breakfast (or dinner) recipe. And it calls for less than 10 ingredients to make.
This tofu scramble recipe is perfect for breakfast or even dinner. It calls for less than 10 ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make. Stores perfectly in the refrigerator for at least up to 4 days in an airtight container and reheats very well.
Serve with breakfast potatoes, tempeh bacon, toast or as desired.
I hope you'll like this recipe as much as I do because it´s:
loaded with veggies.
Which tofu is best for scramble?
I tried all kinds of tofu for scramble but firm tofu is what I find best for this kind of recipe. Extra-firm tofu works fine too. Silken tofu and medium-firm tofu turns to mush when scrambled.
What is kala namak?
Kala namak is a black salt, also known as Himalayan black salt and Indian black salt. It has a sulfurous pungent smell and adds an eggy taste to dishes like a scramble, chickpea flour omelet, and other egg-free dishes. It has a savory, umami taste and is comparable to hard-boiled egg yolks. This salt is appreciated by vegans in dishes that want to mimic the eggy flavor, but some people describe the smell as similar to rotten eggs. Give it a try and see if you like it or not.
Check out my other breakfast recipes: Strawberry overnight oats, Savory oatmeal with roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli, Kale smoothie with mango and banana, Blueberry buckwheat porridge or Banana oatmeal pancakes.
Tofu scramble recipe
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 cups kale lightly packed, washed and torn with stems removed
- 250 gr firm tofu
- ½ cup cooking cream plant-based (I used oat cream)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp yellow curry powder
- pinch of kala namak
- garlic salt to taste or garlic powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Bring the sauté pan to medium-high heat and add oil and diced bell pepper. Sauté until bell pepper starts to soften.
- 2. Add in the kale and sauté until softened.
- 3. Drain excess water from your tofu. Use your hands to break up the block of tofu over a pan. Add cooking cream, nutritional yeast, curry, a pinch of kala namak salt, and mix well. Allow tofu to cook down for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Season with salt, garlic salt and black pepper to taste.
- 5. Taste the scramble and add any extra salt or/and kala namak to taste.
- 6. Serve with some bread or/and vegan bacon and enjoy your vegan tofu scramble!
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.