Tofu Bolognese is a vegan bolognese sauce made with tofu. Quick and easy dinner that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
INGREDIENTS IN TOFU BOLOGNESE
- Pasta: use pasta of your choice. For this recipe, I used linguine. To make this dish gluten-free use gluten-free pasta.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil is the best, but feel free to use any olive oil you like.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic. To substitute use garlic powder.
- Onion: Fresh onion.
- Tofu: Use firm or extra firm tofu. Use your hands, a fork, a potato masher, or a food processor to crumble tofu. If using a food processor make sure not to overprocess. We want a few bigger chunks too. To crumble pulse just a few times until you reach the minced meat consistency.
- Soy sauce: I used mushroom soy sauce (it's a dark soy sauce). If you'll like to use less sodium, use low sodium soy sauce. For gluten-free, use tamari instead.
- Crushed tomatoes: There are a few options if you'll like to substitute crushed tomatoes. It won't taste the same but I think it will do the job. You can use fresh tomatoes that are processed in a food processor or a high-speed blender. Just make sure not to overprocess. You won't want it to be fully blended. Another option is using tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce. If using spaghetti or marinara sauce, adjust your seasonings. The reason for this is that pre-made sauce is already seasoned.
- Cooking cream: I used oat-based cooking cream. Any dairy-free cooking cream will work.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Choose your favorite pasta. Bolognese is traditionally paired and served with tagliatelle or pappardelle, but I recommend using pasta you prefer. One of my favorite kinds of pasta is linguine and that is what I'm using for this recipe.
- Easies and quickest way to crumble tofu is to use your hands. Other options are using a fork, a potato masher, or a food processor.
- If using the marinara sauce as a substitution, make sure to adjust the seasonings.
OTHER PASTA RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- 3 port pasta linguine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 yellow onion
- 230 gr firm tofu
- 1 tbsp mushroom soy sauce
- 500 gr crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup cooking cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook al dente, following the package directions.
2. In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until soft and translucent.
3. Crumble tofu. Stir the tofu crumbles in, add soy sauce, and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Pour in crushed tomatoes along with tomato paste, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Stir in cooking cream. Let simmer for a few minutes.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings, add more salt and pepper if needed.
7. Remove from heat and serve over your favorite pasta. Top with oregano, fresh basil, or vegan parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 469Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 45mgSodium 998mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 7gSugar 12gProtein 18g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.