Taco pie is a vegan lunch or dinner recipe. This delicious taco pie with a pie crust, tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, and vegan “meat” is a huge favorite at my house.
INGREDIENTS IN A TACO PIE
- Whole spelt flour: This is the base of the crust. To substitute, use whole wheat flour.
- Vegan butter: This is for the crust. Any vegan butter would work as long as it´s a dairy-free alternative to regular butter.
- Water: Start by adding one tablespoon of water when making the crust. If needed add one more.
- Olive oil: Or other cooking oil.
- White button mushroom: This is one of the ingredients for the “meat”. However, to substitute use cremini mushrooms or portobello mushrooms.
- Walnuts: For the “meat”.
- Smoked paprika powder: For flavor. To substitute use sweet paprika powder.
- Cumin: For flavor. One of the ingredients in our taco seasoning.
- Garlic powder: For flavor.
- Onion powder: For flavor.
- Salt and black pepper: To taste. Taste and adjust.
- Red bell pepper: Yellow or green peppers can be used. I prefer red peppers.
- Tomatoes: I used medium-sized tomatoes. Feel free to substitute using cherry tomatoes or other tomatoes you prefer.
- Corn: Canned corn. Drained.
- Vegan cream cheese: Use any cream cheese you like.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Make sure not to overprocess walnuts and mushrooms in a food processor. Overprocessing will result in a paste. We want small crumbly pieces (meat crumble-like texture).
- When cooking walnut mushroom meat add more oil if needed.
- Taste and add more salt and/or black pepper if needed. Adjust to your taste.
OTHER PIE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- 1 ½ cup whole spelt flour
- 125 gr vegan butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 gr white button mushroom
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp canned corn, drained
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
1. Preheat oven to 440℉ (225℃).
2. To make the crust, add whole spelt flour, chilled vegan butter, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Use your hands to work the butter into the flour gradually. Add the water and knead until dough starts to hold together.
4. Press the pie dough out into the bottom and sides of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
5. While the crust bakes make walnut mushroom meat. Place walnuts and mushrooms into a food processor. Pulse until walnuts and mushrooms are processed into small pieces. Make sure not to overprocess.
6. In a medium nonstick pan over medium-high heat, add your walnut mushroom mixture along with 2 tbsp oil.
7. Add smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and black pepper to taste. Mix everything together until well combined.
Cook for a few minutes, until mushrooms start to soften and mixture begins to brown.
8. Spread evenly diced bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, and corn over the crust.
9. Spread walnut-mushroom mixture over and top with cream cheese.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
11. Serve with salsa and crisp green salad.
Amount Per Serving Calories 876Total Fat 70gSaturated Fat 28gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 38gCholesterol 67mgSodium 714mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 11gSugar 9gProtein 19g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.