Sun-dried tomato pesto pasta is a vegan pesto recipe. It is full of flavor, it is quick and easy to make. If you are a lover of simple pasta, this is a recipe for you.
INGREDIENTS IN A SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO PASTA
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Sun-dried tomato is the star ingredient of this pesto sauce.
- Olive oil: The best olive oil to use is extra virgin olive oil. However, any olive oil will work.
- Nutritional yeast: Pestos need hard, salty cheeses. Nutritional yeast has a savory flavor that resembles cheese. To substitute use vegan parmesan cheese if available.
- Basil leaves: Use fresh basil leaves. Only a handful of fresh basil. We don't want the flavor of basil to overpower the flavor of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic, and use more or less to taste. Fresh garlic tastes better, but if you need to substitute use garlic powder.
- Pine nuts: For pine nuts substitute use almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, or for a nut-free pesto sunflower seeds.
- Pasta: Use pasta like fusilli, farfalle, penne pasta, or pasta of your choice. To make this recipe gluten-free simply replace pasta with gluten-free pasta.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Toast pine nuts to enhance the flavor. It needs just a few minutes in a hot pan, until golden, to bring out its unique flavor. Don´t skip this step, because this will add flavor to your pesto.
- Adjust the taste adding more basil if needed, and also adding salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add all the ingredients for the pesto sauce to the food processor and process until creamy. Add more oil if needed.
OTHER PASTA RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- 10 ounces whole-grain fusilli pasta (or gluten-free pasta)
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- a handful of fresh basil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook al dente, following the package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking start making pesto sauce. In a dry skillet, without oil, place pine nuts and toast over medium heat. Stir often until golden brown for a few minutes, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure not to burn them. Nuts can easily burn.
3. Add toasted nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, garlic, fresh basil, and olive oil to a food processor or a high-speed blender and blend until smooth with pesto-like consistency. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Drain cooked pasta before adding it to a pot you cooked it in, or a large serving bowl. Add your pesto and toss until it´s well combined.
5. Serve with additional fresh basil and nutrition yeast (or vegan parmesan).
Serving Size¼ of recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 575Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 0mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 14g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.