Strawberry phyllo dough dessert rolls is a sweet, flaky, and crispy vegan dessert recipe made with phyllo dough pastry filled with a mixture of semolina, strawberries, and sugar.
Phyllo dough is a staple in Serbian cuisine. It´s used in both savory recipes and desserts with phyllo dough. For example, used for pastries such as baklava and börek (burek, a savory phyllo dough recipe filled with most often minced meat or feta cheese).
How to keep the dough from drying out?
Working with phyllo dough can be a bit difficult because it can tear easily and will dry out quickly. However, keeping it covered with a lightly damp towel or plastic wrap will solve that problem. Keep the sheets covered, while making rolls.
And make sure to prepare filling before opening the phyllo package.
Is phyllo dough the same as puff pastry?
Phyllo dough (even called filo or fillo) is a dough that is rolled out to paper-thin sheets. Likewise phyllo, puff pastry is made with layers. However, they are not the same thing. A lot of layers are the only similarity between those two pastries.
Puff pastry is made with hundreds of paper-thin layers of butter trapped between hundreds of paper-thin layers of dough. As the pastry bakes, it becomes puffy, light, and buttery.
I wouldn’t recommend substituting puff pastry for this dessert with phyllo dough, as the result wouldn’t be the same.
Strawberry phyllo dough dessert rolls
- 500 gr (1,1 lb) frozen strawberries (thawned)
- ½ cup (1,2 dl) semolina flour
- ¼ cup (0,6 dl) sugar + 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 12 phyllo dough sheets
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F).
- In a mixing bowl add thawed strawberries and mash them with a fork.
- Add semolina and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir together.
- Take one phyllo sheet at the time. Spoon about two tablespoons of your strawberry mixture on one end of the sheet, in the middle.
- Wrap the filling with pastry and then fold the sides in to keep the filling from spilling out. Roll toward the other end.
- Place your phyllo rolls on an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush tops of your rolls with sunflower oil and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.