Spicy yogurt sauce that is creamy, spicy, gluten-free and vegan. Easy homemade yogurt sauce that can be customized to your liking.
This spicy yogurt sauce can be used for dipping french fries, with baked tempeh, tofu, Buddha bowls, salad dressing, etc.
However, this sauce is a bit spicy. If you’re not a fan of spicy food, skip sambal oelek, or try with less and taste before adding more. I’m a big fan of spicy food and can be pretty generous with my level of spicy.
INGREDIENTS IN A SPICY YOGURT SAUCE
- Yogurt: This is the base of the sauce. I used soy yogurt. However, you can replace soy yogurt with another plant-based yogurt. Depending on your personal taste you can use oat, cashew, almond, even coconut yogurt. But your sauce would get coconut flavor if using coconut yogurt.
- Mayonaisse: I used Hellman´s Vegan mayo. You can use any mayo you like.
- Paprika powder: I used paprika powder. Smoked paprika powder works fine too.
- Oregano: Dried oregano.
- Sambal oelek: It´s Indonesian raw chili paste. To substitute use chili flakes or omit if you don’t like spicy food.
- Salt: To taste.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- To make sure this sauce tastes the best, place to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Make sure all ingredients are well combined.
- If needed, taste, and adjust seasoning. Depending on your personal taste, add more salt, sambal oelek, or/and paprika powder.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
This yogurt sauce pairs perfectly with my:
- 1 cup soy yogurt (or another vegan yogurt)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, vegan
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp oregano, dried
- ½ tsp sambal oelek
- salt to taste
1.Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, paprika powder, oregano, sambal oelek, and salt in a bowl.
2. Taste and add more salt or sambal oelek if needed.
Amount Per Serving Calories 105Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 3mgSodium 211mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 2g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.