Savory mushroom crepes (thin pancakes) filled with portobello mushrooms and cashew cream. This fantastic breakfast, lunch, or even dinner recipe is vegan and tastes amazing.
Crepes are just another version of pancakes. The batter of the crepes is thinner, and you can make them sweet or savory, and with any toppings of your choice.
I've always been a crepe lover, but I've eaten it almost always sweet, filled with Nutella. However, this mushroom crepes are one of my favorite savory crepes.
How to make mushroom crepes?
Start by making the crepe batter. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, oat milk, and sunflower oil. Whisk until no lumps remain. Then cover and set aside the batter and start making the filling.
You can use other cooking oil. However, it should be neutral in taste. Don't use an oil like coconut oil.
To make the filling place soaked cashews, water, garlic, and salt, in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Preheat frying pan and saute sliced mushrooms with some oil and salt. When mushrooms are soft, add the cashew cream to the pan, a handful of chopped parsley, and cook for a few minutes. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Now cook the crepes over medium heat in a non-stick pan. Grease with a little oil. Pour ⅛th of batter into the pan. Distribute it quickly across the surface. Cook the first side until the surface of the crepe is golden and dry underneath, and then flip it and cook for one minute. Repeat the process until you used all the batter.
Place 2 tbsp of mushroom-cashew filling into the center of each crepe, wrap and top with pine nuts and some chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy.
Savory crepes filled with mushrooms & cashew cream
- 1 ½ cup (3 dl) flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cup (6 dl) oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil (or other neutral oil) + 1 tbsp
- 2 cup (2,4 dl) soaked cashews
- 1 ½ cup (1,8 dl) water
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 4 medium-sized portobello mushrooms, sliced
- one handful finely chopped parsley
- one handful pine nuts
- Start with making crepe batter. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, oat milk, and 2 tbsp sunflower oil. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Cover the batter and set aside, at room temperature.
- To make cashew cream, place soaked cashews, water, a clove of garlic, and salt to taste in a food processor or a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Saute sliced mushrooms in a pan with oil and salt. Saute until they soften and give off their liquid.
- Add cashew cream to the pan, finely chopped parsley, and stir to combine.
- Cook for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat a frying pan or a crepe pan, add a little oil, so it doesn't stick.
- Pour ⅛th of batter into the pan. Distribute it quickly across the surface.
- Cook the first side until the surface of the crepe is golden and dry underneath. Gently flip it with a spatula.
- Cook the other side for about a minute.
- Repeat until all the batter is finished.
- Place 2 tbsp of mushroom-cashew filling into the center of each crepe, wrap and top with pine nuts.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.