This savory french toast is a vegan french toast recipe. Delicious, quick, and easy breakfast that takes less than 25 minutes to make.
Even thou I like sweet french toast, I prefer savory. Since going vegan I wanted to recreate the recipe I used to make all the time. However, eggs are not a vegan ingredient. So I needed to find another way to achieve the desired taste. To make this delicious toast recipe I used chickpea flour, oat milk, salt, bread, and kala namak.
Kala namak is also called black salt and gives the toast an eggy smell and taste.
If you ask me this tastes pretty amazing. But I'll let you be the judge of that.
For other quick and easy breakfast recipes, check out my Chickpea flour omelet muffins, Tofu scramble with kale and bell pepper, Green chickpea pancakes, Savory oatmeal with roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli, or Strawberry overnight oats.
How to make vegan french toast from scratch?
It takes less than 25 minutes to make this breakfast recipe for 2.
To make vegan french toast add chickpea flour, oat milk, salt, bread, and kala namak, and oat milk into a mixing bowl. Whisk until all combined and no lumps remain.
Preheat the skillet with some oil over medium heat. Dip bread slices in the mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Your toast should look golden brown and crispy.
Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.
Savory french toast toppings
You can't go wrong with vegan cream cheese on the top. Another great topping I recommend is sliced avocado, some (cherry) tomatoes, and sea salt.
Savory french toast
- 4-6 bread slices ½ loaf bread
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of kala namak black salt
- 1 cup oat milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- vegan cream cheese optional
- 1. Start with slicing the bread loaf.
2. Add ½ cup chickpea flour, ½ tsp salt, and a pinch of kala namak into a mixing bowl.
3. Add 1 cup oat milk and whisk together until well combined.
4. Preheat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
5. Dip bread slices in the mixture. Make sure both sides are well coated.
6. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, until a golden brown and crispy.
7. Serve topped with cream cheese, or other toppings of your choice.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.
Leave a Reply