Funghi pizza is a vegan pizza with buckwheat crust, so it's gluten-free. Topped with vegan cheese and white button mushrooms make this pizza an excellent alternative to non-vegan pizza.
Back in the days (days before being vegan and before me actually enjoying cooking), just the thought of making homemade pizza dough made me cringe. It felt like too much work and unnecessary time spent in the kitchen. Now that I know better, once I tried making pizza from scratch, I'm never going back. Well except when I'm being lazy or craving store-bought pizza dough.
Something about making food from scratch makes me feel all housewifey and that everything is under control if you know what I mean.
Now I have a few pizza dough ideas that I would like to try out (polenta crust, scone crust, puff pastry crust..well anything but the regular pizza crust haha). In my head, they all sound delicious but will see when they are done. I'll probably let you know when I'm done experimenting.
What I love about this funghi pizza with buckwheat crust is that the buckwheat is gluten-free and a high source of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. And I love mushrooms so it's a win-win for me.
How does buckwheat taste like?
The flavor of buckwheat can be a bit intense. I don't mind it because I like the taste of buckwheat. It is nutty and a little bitter. If you don't like the taste but still want to make funghi pizza go with other pizza crust or try mixing buckwheat flour with other flours to tame the taste.
If you like buckwheat make sure to try out my Blueberry buckwheat porridge and Buckwheat porridge with raspberry swirl.
Funghi pizza w/ buckwheat crust
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil or other neutral oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 200 gr white button mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup shredded plant-based cheese (I used violife smoked)
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F).
- Combine buckwheat flour, salt, baking powder, sunflower oil (or other neutral oil) and water, in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Move the dough to a baking sheet and flatten the dough, using your hands.
- Bake for about 5 minutes.
- Make the pizza sauce. In a small bowl, add tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, coconut sugar, and oregano. Stir together.
- Remove pizza from the oven. Evenly spread pizza sauce. Top with shredded cheese and sliced white button mushrooms.
- Sprinkle some thyme and salt to taste.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think. And don't forget to follow me on Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes.