Oven-baked tofu with crispy panko breadcrumb coat and lemon dill flavor. This baked tofu recipe is a good vegan substitute for fish.
This dish is my go-to when I am looking for a vegan version of a fish recipe. It calls for simple ingredients and takes less than half an hour to make. Perfectly paired with white yogurt sauce, cooked green peas, and cooked rice or potatoes.
INGREDIENTS IN THIS CRISPY OVEN BAKED TOFU
- Tofu: For this recipe use firm or extra firm tofu. Silk tofu is too soft for this recipe.
- Dill: Use fresh dill.
- Lemon: Juice and lemon zest of half a lemon. This gives the panko coat a delicious lemon flavor.
- Butter: Any non-dairy butter is ok. Butter is needed for the panko crumble.
- Panko: I recommend using panko breadcrumbs. Panko is a Japanese style bread-crumb and is airier and stays crispier longer than other breadcrumbs. However, you can substitute regular breadcrumbs for panko. To make this recipe gluten-free use gluten-free panko or regular but gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Nutritional yeast: For the cheese flavor and extra nutrients.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- Use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe. Silk tofu has high water content and doesn't keep shape well.
- Serve right away. Even though it tastes delicious the next day, this recipe is crispiest the same day.
- Serve with rice(or potatoes), green peas, and yogurt sauce.
OTHER TOFU RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- 400g (0,9 lbs) tofu
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of white pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- ½ lemon, juice
- 50 g dairy-free butter
- 1 cup (2,2 dl) panko breadcrumbs
- ½ lemon, zest
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- olive oil, or other vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F).
2. Drain tofu and use a paper towel to press down and squeeze out the excess water. Cut the block of tofu into 4 slices.
3. Grease your baking dish with olive oil or other vegetable oil.
4. Place tofu pieces into a baking dish, sprinkle ½ tsp salt, a pinch of white pepper, 1 tbsp chopped dill, and juice from ½ lemon.
5. In a mixing bowl add 50 g dairy-free butter, 1 cup panko bread crumbs, ¼ nutritional yeast, ½ tsp salt, and zest from a ½ lemon. Mix together.
6. Sprinkle evenly over tofu and bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Serve with cooked rice and some cooked vegetables like green peas or haricot verts.
Serving Size¼ of recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 206Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 27mgSodium 719mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 0gProtein 5g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.