Cannellini bean soup recipe. This soup is vegan and gluten-free, healthy, hearty, comfy, and full of flavor.
White bean soup is a typical dish of the Balkans. White beans and paprika powder are two of the main ingredients in this soup recipe. This soup brings back childhood memories.
I adjusted a few things to my personal taste and to make this soup completely gluten-free.
INGREDIENTS IN A CANNELLINI BEAN SOUP
- Olive oil: Or other cooking oil like sunflower, canola oil, etc.
- Yellow onion: Adds to flavor.
- Carrots: Two medium-sized carrots. Peeled and diced.
- Garlic: Use two big cloves. Finely chopped. Adds to flavor.
- Smoked paprika powder: For flavor. Smoked paprika will add subtle smokiness. You can substitute with sweet paprika which adds a sweeter flavor.
- Vegetable stock cube (bouillon cube): For flavor. If you'll like to substitute, use 1 cup vegetable broth and omit 1 cup water from the recipe.
- Bay leaves: For flavor. Remove from the soup before serving.
- Cannellini beans: You can use other white beans like great northern beans or navy beans. I used canned beans, for convenience purposes. You can use dried beans, but make sure to soak them overnight. If using dried beans, cooking time will be longer.
- Cornstarch: To thicken the soup a bit.
- Salt and black pepper: Adjust to your personal taste.
- Chilli flakes: This is optional. Using chili flakes will give some spiciness to this soup.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE PERFECTLY
- It´s important to let cornstarch dissolve completely in the water before adding to the soup.
- Make sure to blend quickly when adding cornstarch mixture to the soup.
- Taste and adjust salt, black pepper, and season with chili flakes if desired.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Other soup recipes you might like to try:
- Lentil spinach soup
- Coconut lentil soup
- Borscht soup (Russian Beet Soup)
- Creamy carrot and horseradish soup
- Green pea soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 big garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 cups water
- 4 cups cannellini beans, cooked
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 1 cup water
- salt and black pepper to taste
- chili flakes (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrot, and cook until soft and onion is translucent. Stir occasionally.
2. Add smoked paprika powder and stir fry for another few minutes.
3. Pour in water, cannellini beans, add the vegetable stock cube, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Whisk 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup water, in a small bowl, before whisking it into a pot. Quickly stir to blend in all together. Cook for a few minutes to allow soup to thicken a bit.
6. Serve with sprinkled chili flakes on top (optional).
Amount Per Serving Calories 327Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 358mgCarbohydrates 56gFiber 13gSugar 3gProtein 19g
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.