Borscht soup is a simple and delicious vegan soup recipe. Even though ingredients are simple it makes a delicious hearty soup perfect for cold winter days, or whenever you crave a hearty soup.
Borscht is a soup typical of Russia and Ukraine and it´s packed with vegetables. The main ingredient is red beets and it´s the beets that give this soup a beautiful red color.
The borscht recipe ingredients vary by country but several ingredients stay unchanged, and that is beets, cabbage, carrots, onions, and potatoes.
I make borscht without potatoes, but if you feel that potatoes are an important ingredient in borscht, feel free to add some.
More soup recipes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled and shredded
- 3 cups (7,1 dl) shredded cabbage
- 6 medium-size red beets, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups (14,2 dl) water
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- ½ cup (1,2 dl) beluga lentils, uncooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- plant-based yogurt
- parsley to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add shredded carrot, cabbage, and cubed beets and cook for a few minutes.
- Add water, vegetable stock cubes, beluga lentils, bay leaf. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar, taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve with plant-based yogurt and parsley on top.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.