Strawberry phyllo dough rolls is a delicious, quick and easy vegan dessert recipe made with phyllo dough pastry filled with a mixture of semolina, strawberries, and sugar.
Phyllo dough is a staple in Serbian cuisine. It´s used in both savory and sweet recipes, mostly for pastries such as baklava and börek (boerek, a savory phyllo dough recipe filled with most often minced meat or feta cheese).
Working with phyllo dough can be a bit difficult because it can tear easily and will dry out quickly. Keeping it covered with a lightly damp towel or plastic wrap will solve that problem. Totally worth the effort. What you’ll get are a sweet, crispy strawberry filled rolls that are delicious.
- 500 g (1,1 lb) frozen strawberries
- ½ cup (1,2 dl) semolina
- ¼ cup (0,6 dl) sugar + 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 12 phyllo dough sheets
- Thaw strawberries.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F).
- In a mixing bowl add thawed strawberries and mash them with a fork.
- Add semolina and ¼ cup sugar. Stir together.
- Take one phyllo sheet at the time. Spoon about two tablespoons of your strawberry mixture on one end of the sheet, in the middle.
- Wrap the filling with pastry and then fold the sides in to keep the filling from spilling out. Roll toward the other end.
- Place your phyllo rolls on an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush tops of your rolls with sunflower oil and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.