Savory oatmeal with roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli is a quick and easy vegan breakfast recipe.
Brussels sprouts have never been something I like to eat. I tried a few times, so it’s not like I haven’t given them a chance, but I could never learn to like them. At least not until I tried to roast them. Roasting them has been a real game changer for me.
Everything tastes so much better when roasted. Why hasn’t anyone told me this earlier?
- 250 g (0,55 lb) brussels sprouts
- 250g (0,55 lb) broccoli
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup (2,4 dl)rolled oats
- 2 cups (4,8 dl) water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C (392°F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bottom off of brussels sprouts, trim off the outer leaves and slice sprouts lengthwise.
- In a mixing bowl, toss brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon sunflower oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, a pinch of black pepper to coat thoroughly.
- Transfer the sprouts to a half of baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, toss chopped broccoli with 1 tablespoon sunflower oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, a pinch of black pepper to coat.
- Transfer to another half of baking sheet.
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes.
- While sprouts and broccoli are roasting, combine oats, water, and smoked paprika in a pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes, until desired consistency of oats.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the oats into two bowls. Top each bowl with roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli.