Where I’m from bread is a staple food. Bread is the most essential part of the meal. Ok, almost, but if there’s no bread with the other food on the table, the meal is not complete. And the whiter the bread, the better it is. Well, not healthier. We know that, but yolo, just give me some bread!
Where I’m from, we eat bread with other carbohydrates like potatoes, wheat pasta, rice, etc.
Where I live now, white bread is a big no-no. Yes, occasionally it´s okay to indulge yourself in a delicious loaf of bread. Usually, it´s the part of the breakfast, used to make sandwiches and maybe with soups, but never to the main course.
Leaving my home country didn’t make me leave my affection for bread. Yes, I’m aware that it’s not the healthiest food choice, but everything can be made healthier. That’s my food moto right there.
So instead of using white flour, I made a bread with graham flour adding shredded carrot and flaxseed.
- 1¼ cup (3 dl) lukewarm water
- 25 gr fresh yeast
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 3 tbsp flax seeds
- 3¼ cup (8 dl) graham flour
- sunflower oil, for greasing
- In a bowl, mix a lukewarm water with yeast to get a creamy liquid.
- Add salt, shredded carrot, oil, agave syrup and flax seed to the bowl. Stir together.
- Gradually pour graham flour into the mixture and knead.
- Keep kneading for a few minutes.
- Grease a loaf pan with oil and put your dough into a pan.
- Cover and let rise for about 50 minutes.
- Heat oven to 390°F (200°C) and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen then invert onto a wire rack.
- Let the bread cool before slicing.
If you have any questions or just want to say hi, don’t be afraid to leave a comment. I’ll be more than happy to answer all of your questions. And if you try this recipe, let me know what you think. If you want to stay updated follow me on Instagram or Pinterest.